Listen: it’s a no-brainer that social media is a crucial part of blogging. In fact, crafting your content should only be 40% of what you do as a blogger; the remaining 60% of your time should be spent promoting your posts. Social media is the easiest way to promote your posts and develop your personal brand. Only downside of social media? There are dozens upon dozens of social networks, but what are the ones you really need to focus on? Instagram is undoubtedly king, but what other networks are must-haves? I’ll break it down for you regarding which social networks to join, which to keep and which to ditch!
Instagram. This is a no-brainer. Instagram is king at the moment, and often times its where millenial bloggers see their biggest following. Even when I collaborate with companies, often times I either participate in Instagram-only collaborations or an Instagram posting is required. I would highly suggest editing with tools such as Afterlight or VSCO for Instagram posts, develop a “theme” for your page and figure out what your audience’s peak hours are (ex. for me, it’s beneficial to post between 9-10pm on weekdays for some reason, that’s when I get the highest amount of interaction!)
Twitter. I’m really surprised at the amount of bloggers that think they should drop their Twitter presence — you’re not going to see nearly as much interaction on that platform as your Instagram per say, but Twitter is a key platform to drive actual traffic to your website. Link your content (old and new!) multiple times a day for the best results!
Pinterest. I’ll admit it, I used to totally slack on Pinterest. However, when one of your pins goes viral? The amount of traffic that results from that is major. Pinterest is always one of my top 5 referrals each day traffic-wise. I currently use AHALOGY to schedule out my pins at peak times. I try to pin my own content at least 3-5 times a day, and I make sure to pin older content that’s still relevant in addition to my new content. Join a few group boards to maximize your reach!
Snapchat. It’s been around for a few years now and you might use it as just a personal network, but it’s a really fantastic way to both advertise your content and show off your personality at the same time. The best part about Snapchat is that you can update on the go, show your readers what you’re up to, and it doesnt have to be as pristine and as polished as your Instagram or blog content. I see this network being something that companies will use in the future for campaigns, so I would highly suggest you jump on this network now and master it! P.S., add me, my username is aliciatenise.
Facebook. Trust me, I’m not Facebook’s biggest fan either. I too get frustrated that my posts only reach about 20-30% of my page’s fans on average. However, the biggest source of growth for me is blogger Facebook groups. Through groups you can find like-minded bloggers, promote your content, and ask questions or give advice. Some groups I recommend are Blogging Boost and the Her Campus Blogger Network.
Reddit. Some of you might know and use Reddit, but it’s definitely not the most popular social platform. You would be surprised at how much traffic I acquire from Reddit; it’s a super active website with a lot larger of a reach than you would anticipate. There are forms dedicated to fashion which I typically post in, however, no matter your niche, you can find a subreddit that will fit your blog’s genre!
Tumblr. Tumblr is a blogging platform itself, but it’s still a super active platform and a great way to share your content and get more referral traffic. Not only do I repost images of my outfit posts on my own personal Tumblr account, but I also sumbit my blog content to other Tumblr accounts that are pretty large and will repost my looks (these networks also allow me to include a credit in the caption to my website!)
What are your favorite social platforms and why?
This has been a sponsored guest post by top fashion & lifestyle blogger Alicia Tenise. For more from Alicia, check out her blog at www.AliciaTenise.com.