According to Wikipedia, public speaking is defined as the act of performing a presentation (a speech), focused on an individual directly speaking to a live audience in a structured, deliberate manner in order to inform, influence, or entertain.
I recently had the opportunity to address a room of marketers from consumer brands and digital marketing agencies on the topic of influencer marketing. Below are five principles to keep in mind when creating content:
- Know Your Audience: Connecting with your audience is about understanding what matters to them and how your topic affects them. Whether you’re presenting to a small or large audience, research your audience in advance. Speaking to executives is very different than speaking with subject. There is nothing more frustrating than presenting basic information to a highly knowledgeable audience, and conversely, speaking at too high a level for a novice audience.
- It’s Not About You (or your company): Focus the presentation on what your audience is there to learn. Keep your need to talk about yourself or your company to a minimum unless your reason is to give them a sales pitch and they signed up to listen to you talk about your products or services.
- Keep Things Simple And To The Point: Enough Said.
- Create A Worthy Leave–Behind: People are busy and no matter how much you left an impression, make sure you leave them with something that will remind them of the action you would like them to take.
- Have Fun: Audiences have been conditioned to expect content to be dry and boring. Including a little humor or levity into your messaging will don’t only make it more fun to create, but also make your audience more likely to engage with future communications.
Register today and learn how consumer brands have successfully integrated word-of-mouth marketing into their marketing mix.